Saturday, January 9, 2016

I Love to See the Temple


We went to the temple today!!! It was a much needed break away from the CCM (Spanish for MTC) and stress of CCM life... also a great way to celebrate our half way point in “Mormon prison.” Not really, but it does feel like it sometimes…







This week has been pretty crazy. I don’t think I’ve cried so much in my life. I think this quote accurately describes how I’ve felt this week: 

"When trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are the evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more. He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion which polish you for your everlasting benefit. to get you from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort and pain."
  --Richard G Scott
 
Even though this is really tough, these are some of the best experiences I’ve had. And I know it will only get harder and better! A little miracle though, the part of the city in which the CCM is in is really smoggy. You can’t see any stars at night and it smells like sewage. BUT! For some reason, it has been super clear this week and I could make out a few stars while walking to my casa. It made me so happy! 
So this Tuesday we performed for devotional. I was the choir pianist and it was a really rewarding experience. Haha although... so I was playing for choir and also for the opening and closing songs. I knew the songs and I could play them… however, when the president welcomed us to the devo and announced the songs that we would be singing.... they were not the songs I was told. in fact, one was a Spanish song that is not in the English hymn book... haha so I was sight reading it, trying to do the best I could and I missed a fermata... I kept playing while every other person in the auditorium held the note. (We’ll see if they ask me to play again :) 

The City
  

People walk where ever

These next ones are my favorite. I took them from inside the bus. We were at a red light, the guy in blue is walking by, selling cigarettes

Another man just comes up in the middle of the street to buy a pack. The light turned green and people just drove around them!

The Elders had a tie exchange

 
Some other things that happened:
  • Hma. Hoskins burnt her skirt trying to iron it
  • All of our American and Latino friends left for the mission field last Tuesday...
  • We are now the "old" people here... it’s weird!
  • We are the district of leaders... 2 of the Elders are zone leaders, the other 2 are district leaders and Hna Hoskins and I are sister training leaders
  • Dia de los Tres Magos (Day of the Three Kings) was a few days ago. Kids in Mexico write letters to the wise men asking for presents and then send their letters up in a floating lantern or a balloon, so that was fun to see. And we have pan dulce which is also part of Dia de los Tres Magos. Everyone eats the sweet bread and if you find a plastic little baby in your bread, you have to buy everyone something from the Tienda they have here. One of the elders from the other district got the baby :)
I still haven’t got any of your letters....

Sorry this letter isn’t great. I’m learning a lot and growing a lot. Mentally it is one of the hardest things I’ve done, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Don’t worry about me, I’m on the Lord’s errand.

No comments:

Post a Comment